Create a Simple, Effective Fitness Plan For Free
A simplistic approach to creating a fitness plan that gets results and cuts through the complicated crap out there!
Since our at-home fitness, food and lifestyle credibility has started to explode the past year, we constantly get this question from prospective clients and regular users (I’m talking 70+ emails),
“How can I create a fitness plan without breaking the bank or taking a PhD to understand?”
I get this via email more than you’d think, and honestly I tell them and walk them through the process I’m going to tell you now and give you an exclusive deal below!
Trust me, you’ll read this and say to yourself that it’s just too easy to actually get results, but that’s the purpose – to provide a simplistic, easy to follow, actionable approach that you can implement starting today! And it works – this is the same process that has gotten wonderful results.
I am excited to say that even with being on vacation last week, when I got on the scale I’ve lost 10 pounds! – Penny
Nope, this isn’t for those wanting to bench press 350 in the next two weeks or those that need to lose 40 pounds in a month. It’s for those looking to finally get off the sideline and get started towards their goals!
So here you go – let’s create an easy, at-home, no money required fitness plan for you today! All it takes is a few minutes a day and this amazing step-by-step approach!
The System for Creating Your Own Fitness Plan
Before we dive in, we need to know where we are going – what are your goals and where are you starting. So grab a piece of paper and pencil and answer these questions:
- Time to results?
- Goal 1 (be very specific)?
- Goal 2 (be very specific)?
- Goal 3 (be very specific)?
1. Know Where You Started
In order to witness results and just to keep our motivation going, we need to know how far we have come as we get into our fitness plan. This means that we will want to know exactly how many inches or pounds we have gained or lost. No, getting in shape isn’t just about these numbers but they are good tools that we can use to keep us motivated. So we are going to start out with some simple measurements to give us a baseline reading:
- Waist circumference at top of pelvic bone
- Thigh circumference 6 inches above top of knee cap
- Bicep circumference at armpit
Note: Make sure to note which side of the body you took these measurements on and make sure to always take measurements on the same side.
Selfies seriously work and provide massive motivation!
You may also want to take before selfies from the front and side and write these measurements on the back of the picture. Put it in a place you see it everyday so you can always tell yourself that you will never go back to where you once were!
2. Perform Fitness Tests
Another big motivational tool is to watch yourself get progressively stronger – it ignites that inner personal motivation and competition. So take these 3 fitness tests before you even begin your fitness plan:
- Pushups – How many normal pushups you can do until failure
- Plank – how long you can perform a normal plank (flat body) until failure
- Squats/minute – how many bodyweight squats you can perform with proper form in a minute
Note: This will give you an awesome baseline to go from while you improve your strength!
Make sure you pay close attention to your form – you want to have proper form during the tests. Having crappy form during these tests is like cheating – you will get it done but you will still feel like you could have done more or should have did it properly! Plus it wouldn’t truthfully correlate to your true strength.
3. Plan Your Attack
First things first, you need to know what equipment you have at your disposal. So answer these 3 questions:
- Working out at the gym?
- Working out at home?
- If at home, what equipment do you have?
This is vital in setting up the plan to utilize the tools you have and therefore give you the ability to design a fitness plan that incorporates the exercises you actually have equipment for!
4. Create Your Fitness Plan
Well Duh….we need a plan , right? What if I showed you how to create a 20-25 minute plan that requires minimal equipment that if done right can boost your metabolism for long after your workout is over… and can easily burn 400+ calories?
You’d be interested, right? Hell, I’m interested and I already know what’s coming next!
This plan will get you stronger while burning calories. To do that, we are going to perform the exercises you choose below at a high-intensity with little rest between sets (10-15 seconds max). This will have your heart rate sky-high and killing calories.
All we have to do it choose 8-10 of the exercises below and alternate between cardio and strength training moves that in total work your entire body.
Alternate between picking 4-5 exercises from the left column and alternate them with 4-5 exercises from the right column. Write them down in the workout log we provided here:
You can find almost all of these exercises in our DIY Workout section or simply Google them!
Strength training Exercises (there are tons more):
- Plie Squat
- Weighted Lunges
- Walking Lunges
- Calve Raises
- Glute Kickback
- Bicep Curl
- Hammer Curl
- Tricep Kickback
- Tricep Extension
- Decline Pushup
- Shoulder Press
- Deltoid Raise
- Mountain Climbers
- Side-to-Side Mountain climbers
- Tic Tocs
- Side-to-Side Heel Touchers
- Plank Spiders
- Plank Jack
- Run In Place
- High Knees
- Jumping Jacks
- Jump Rope
- Squat Punch
- Leg Holds
- Scissors (up and down)
- Scissors (side to side)
Here’s an example workout plan we use:
- Decline Pushups
- Mountain Climbers
- Weighted Lunges
- Jumping Jacks
- Squat with Shoulder Press (you can combine exercises as well)
- Hammer Curl
Perform 3 sets PER exercise of 30 seconds at least 3 times a week!
Like I said, perform this at least 3-4 times a week and after a month come back and change your exercises up using the same structure – this will produce incredible results!
Just remember, that it’s important that you move from exercise to exercise with little to no rest between the sets (unless of course you are going to pass out or need to sit down).
This will keep your heart rate elevated the entire time while speeding up the entire workout!
Once again, intensity is the secret to igniting your metabolism and getting the workout over in a timely manner (I’ve written extensively on afterburn/high-intensity training in TRAIN Magazine and American Fitness). High-intensity = time saved, more calories burnt, boosted metabolism…etc.
Note: Know your strengths – if you know you can’t do a normal pushup, start with assisted pushups. Or if you know you have a blown knee, don’t be doing single leg squats. Use common sense. And as always, make sure you are cleared by a Physician before beginning any exercise fitness plan.
5. Schedule It In
Allot 3-4 nights/mornings to a 30+ minute workout and write that baby in your calendar and NEVER make an excuse to reschedule. Once it’s written down, it should be like an appointment you have to keep with your boss – you just can’t miss it!
So schedule yourself in and start being true to yourself!
6. Add Motivation
Staying in the fitness grove is all about having motivational fail-safes in place for the times when you feel like throwing your hands up and saying, “Screw it, I quit!” Try implementing these practices below:
- Retake fit tests/measurements once a month – Once you see the numbers drop then you will be incredibly motivated to just keep going! Trust me – it’s huge!
- Get an accountability buddy – Have someone at the office, in your family, or even one of your friends exercise with you or at least hold you accountable to actually workout. Have them call you up once a week to see if you actually exercised.
- Record your workout days – Remember to log your workouts on a monthly calendar. Every time you miss a workout – or don’t leave the couch – make a big red “X” in that square. Trust me, when you see three red “X’s” glaring back at you, you will know that it’s time to get active – like in baseball, you don’t want to get three strikes!
- Just do it and be true to yourself – You don’t owe it to anyone to start living a healthier life besides yourself – plus you can be more beneficial to your friends and family if you are healthy! The shell you wear is the only one you will ever get, so be true to it and take care of it!
- Retake selfies – Remember those selfies we talked about earlier? Try retaking them and compare the two after a month into the fitness plan. You will notice slight difference that will equate to big results!
7. The Results Are In Having Patience
It takes 8 weeks for your family and friends to notice changes.
Finally, it takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world to take notice.
Be patient when it comes to making big lifestyle changes because it will be so worth the time and effort! COMMIT to change for 3 months (schedule it in) and you will be amazed at what you can do!
8. Keep the Momentum Going
We’ve just shared with you a simple way to create and implement a lasting, sustainable fitness plan that will help you lose several pounds within the first month (with proper nutrition) – easily.
And it can and SHOULD start today!
Now head on over and get our Free Diet Cheat Sheet and meal plan!
- Distance Running: How Can I Run Longer and Farther? - March 23, 2021
- Alicia Marie: Achieve Curves You Won’t Want to Cover Up - March 8, 2021
- 5 Best Workout Reviews For Stay At Home Moms - March 4, 2021