Causes of Pregnancy Back Pain?
One common occurrence during pregnancy is back pain. But how can you prevent pregnancy back pain and what are some natural remedies? Check out these prevention tips for pregnancy back pain!
What you need to know about pregnancy back pain:
Being pregnant is the happiest time of life for a woman, but the physical difficulties for the mothers-to-be cannot be denied.
Along with many other pains and aches in the body, a pregnant woman may frequently suffer from back pain.
With the advice from experts in Beverly Hills spine surgery, the causes, prevention techniques and natural remedies for pregnancy back pain are discussed in detail below.
With pregnancy, many hormonal changes occur in your body which affect your ligaments and muscles. Secondly, your posture is also affected by the natural weight gain. Mostly the mothers-to-be experience pain in the lower back but your whole torso can feel discomfort and pain.
The main causes which lead to back pain are as follows:
- Sitting or standing in the same position for a longer time.
- Persisting conditions in the body prior to pregnancy may become worse.
- Old injuries like slipped disc may recur because of loosened and weakened ligaments.
In case there is any kind of pain in the pelvic area or pelvis, you should immediately get in touch with your midwife or doctor as it can be something serious and you may need physiotherapy or other serious treatment.
Back pain can be prevented by paying attention to some key points that we usually overlook. Especially the pregnant women should never neglect these points to prevent pain in the back. Some of these tips prepared by the Beverly Hills spine surgery experts are listed below to help you prevent back pain in pregnancy.
- Focus on your posture. Standing tall and straight is essential for a pregnant woman. Make sure that your chin is not tilted upwards.
- Do not stand for long periods. If it cannot be avoided, then always shift your weight from one foot to another. Go for a light stroll during the lunch break.
- It is essential that a risk assessment should be done for you or any other employee who is pregnant. With this, they can ensure that no stressful work is assigned to you which would strain your back.
- If you have a desk job or drive a lot, then you must arrange for a lumbar support. Don’t cross your legs and make sure you take short breaks from your computers. Also, ensure that you sit in the correct position in a comfortable chair.
- Do not carry heavy things like shopping. Get the help of a friend, order online or ask for home delivery where possible.
- It may seem irrelevant, but wearing the right sized maternity undergarments is a must. The maternity bra should be comfortable and not put any strain on your shoulders or rib cage.
- Invest in a good quality maternity pillow or arrange for a lot of pillows to help you sleep comfortably in the correct position.
- When getting out of bed, do not be abrupt about it as it may hurt your back and the baby both. The best way is to move or roll to the side of the bed. Sit up. Put your feet on firm ground first and then stand up slowly.
Exercising is good, but only with the advice from your doctor or spine surgery experts in Beverly Hills. Walking and stretching can be effective, but only if they are done slowly and moderately. No need to stress yourself and if you feel any strain on your back, you should stop at once.
Swimming is not bad, but it would be better if it could be avoided. Still, refrain from breaststroke completely as it will strain your back and neck severely.
Yoga/Tai chi/Relaxation classes
If you are looking for ways to keep yourself fit without stressing yourself too much or in fact, if you want to relax your stressed muscles, then you should opt for yoga, tai chi or relaxation classes. There are many such classes available for pregnant women, but you can always inform your regular instructor that you are pregnant.
What can be better than a relaxing massage, especially if you are suffering from back pain! However, before you go for a massage, don’t forget to consult your doctor or midwife. Be careful that nobody massages your acupuncture points that may trigger contractions.
Nonetheless, being pregnant is a very special time.
Enjoy it and don’t take any risks. Before trying anything it is better to take advice of Beverly Hills spine surgery experts, your doctor or your midwife. Happy Motherhood!
Latest posts by Misty Jhones (see all)
- Prevention and Natural Remedies for Pregnancy Back Pain - September 22, 2016
- Does It Matter When You Eat Carbs? - March 29, 2016