How to Avoid Moving Injuries
Moving and changing your address is one of the most stressful events for our bodies. Stress is the number one cause of illness because it makes our immune system weak. Unfortunately, it is not the only danger, packing, unpacking, and lifting heavy items also has risks.
Avoid moving injuries with these tips
So, how do you avoid moving injuries and stay healthy during your relocation? What are some common injuries and how to minimize the risks?
Moving has two sides. On one side, it’s a happy life event with a lot of excitement. But, on the other, it is very hard and emotional, especially if you are leaving the home where you were born or raised your kids.
When you accept that the move is actually happen, it will be a little easier.
Learn how to avoid moving injuries
To have a smooth relocation, you should be prepared and know what to expect. Luckily, there are some tips and trick to avoid moving mistakes and to be happy and healthy.
For example, take advantages of yoga and pilates to be relaxed and to let the stress out. It is just one of the ways to stay healthy and fit during moving.
Of course, don’t wear high heels or sandals on a moving day.
Tips to avoid injuries during moving
Back injuries, broken hands or fingers, cut, scrapes, sprained ankles…etc. all are common injuries when moving.
The risks are even bigger if you are planning on moving in a hurry. To avoid moving injuries and stay healthy, you should have a guide and tips to follow.
- Don’t overpack boxes – Even if you can lift 100 pounds, it doesn’t mean you should pack that much in one box. Boxes are not that strong, so you can hurt your toes.
- Wrap sharp items – Wrap all knives and sharp tools to avoid cuts and bleeding when packing and unpacking.
- Properly lift heavy items – Follow protocols for lifting and ask for help to avoid back injuries. To lift an item from the ground, you need to bend at your knees and maintain your balance. Don’t lift alone and don’t lift more than you can.
- Use a moving dolly – To move heavy boxes, you should use a dolly. It can be rented at a local moving company or store. It is the safest way of moving and carrying boxes.
- Clear the pathway – Before you move boxes from one room to another or take it to the truck, make sure you have a clear pathway.
- Keep kids and pets away – Not only the pathways should be clear, but also, make sure your kids and pets are not around to trip you up.
Tips to stay healthy when moving
It is not that difficult to stay healthy during relocation, you just need to take care of yourself, and your family (if you are moving with them). Simple tricks will help you relax and stay away from stress.
For starters, eat healthy, exercise, and drink enough water.
- Get enough rest – The moving process is long and complex, but you must find time for your rest. Everybody needs it. Sleep about 8 hours every night and don’t change your routine.
- Get early on a moving day – If you get up early, you can make a good breakfast, pack the last items without hurrying.
- Stay hydrated – Drink water, about 7 glasses. Especially if you are moving during summer, your body will lose more fluids. If you hired a moving company or your friends are helping you, prepare enough healthy beverages for them too.
- Eat healthy food – Don’t skip breakfast and make sure to make healthy breakfast recipes every day, even on a moving day. Eat enough protein, fruits, and vegetables. Avoid ordering unhealthy food.
- Exercise – Exercising is one of the best ways to avoid moving injuries and stay healthy. This way to will have enough strength and energy for hard work and at the same time, stay fit.
- Wear proper clothes on moving day – If it is a long-distance move, pack the proper clothing for the entire family. For example, if you are moving to a colder place, pack warmer clothing. Also, when packing and moving, wear proper shoes and comfortable clothing.
Search for professional moving help
Can you relocate and still not to worry about packing, unpacking, transporting, loading and unloading boxes from the vehicle?
Yes, you can. And the solution is easy – just find a full-service moving company and you don’t need to do the hard work. Instead, you can spend time with your family and kids, workout, relax…etc. It is much healthier for you. Especially if you don’t have any experience with packing and moving.
Get a couple of recommendations, search online, and find a Master Moving Guide. Choose a few companies and compare their services and bids. By hiring a moving company, you will avoid possible injuries.
Even if you do hire a moving company, there is still stress about moving. Changing an environment is a shock. Do yoga to relax before bedtime, it will work to relieve your body from stress.
If you don’t want to hire a moving company, you must have helpers anyway.
Ask a couple of friends to help you pack and lift all those heavy and large pieces of furniture such as sofa, bed, desk…etc. It can be dangerous to do alone.
To avoid moving injuries and stay healthy you must have some kind of help. Make some calls and see who is available. Happy move!