Convenient, healthy fruits makes a great snack
While all fruits could be considered healthy, there are some of our favorites that pack a punch in terms of their nutrient content. Check out this author’s 5 favorite healthy fruits and their benefits that make for the perfect on-the-go snack!
Yummy, Healthy Fruits
It’s cliché but for good health, one must eat fruits every day and basically any kind because all are healthy!
Fruits are full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients and are extremely beneficial for health. They are not only a visual treat but a delicious treat as well. So one must include a variety of fruits in the diet and reap the benefits offered.
Eat apples, bananas, wild blueberries, mangoes and citrus fruits to stay fit and healthy. Read on to learn their health benefits:
An apple is packed with so many vitamins and antioxidants that you can hardly say no to it. Not only the fruit but its peel is also full of health benefits. The amount of dietary fiber in it is considerably high.
- Antioxidants: the peel contains procyanidins, chlorogenic acid, ploridizin and more. They can help decrease the risk of several chronic diseases.
- It is great for diabetic patients, lowers glucose absorption from the digestive tract. In a study, it has been found to help prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- Pectin, a good source of soluble fiber reduces cholesterol level. It combats cancer cell growth and proliferation due to the natural fiber getting fermented in the colon.
- A flavonoid, phloridzin, which is present only in apples saves women from osteoporosis after menopause.
70 % of banana is water. So, anybody feeling dehydrated should eat a banana. In addition, it has some electrolytes that will make you feel energized. Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, magnesium and manganese are also present in it.
- Potassium and magnesium are good for heart health. They maintain blood pressure and heart’s working.
- Potassium is good for the bones. It prevents calcium loss because of urination.
- Soluble fiber pectin is present in it making it an ideal food for the digestive tract. Bananas chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body besides helping in constipation.
- Bananas being a good source of carotenoids guard against coronary heart disease.
Citrus fruits are a great source of Vitamin C, we all know that. The other nutrients packed in it are folate and potassium and what makes them stand out is the presence of flavonoids.
- The last compound improves blood flow through the arteries, inhibits growth of blood clots and checks oxidation of bad cholesterol which can form artery plaques.
- Vitamin C prevents free radical damage to the body. The antioxidant helps collagen development – a process that is needed to cure wounds and keep blood vessels, ligaments, tendon and bones in proximity.
- Potassium improves nerve functioning, contraction of the heart and carbohydrate metabolism.
- Folate prevents birth side-effects.
Blueberries are enriched with antioxidants. In addition to this, they have plenty of minerals and fiber.
- Fiber: one cup of blueberries is sufficient to suffice 6.2 gm of daily dietary fiber need. High fiber content helps controlling cardiovascular diseases, obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Manganese: a trace mineral required for bone development. Wild blueberries provide 200% of DV with just one cup. Need we say more.
- Antioxidants: the antioxidant power of wild blueberries is the highest than most of the fruits. They decelerate risk of cancer, heart diseases and age related problems by neutralizing free radicals.
- The king of fruits can not be left out of this list. An amazing combination of phytonutrients, vitamins and fiber make it the most sought after tropical fruit.
- Vitamin C: just one cup of the fruit provides enough for the growth and restoration of the body tissues to help protect body against any infection or disease.
- Other vitamins: Vitamin A is present in plenty and is good for an improved vision and flawless skin. Vitamin B6 is needed for some vital body functions.
- Folate decreases the chance of birth defects in humans.
- Phytonutrients: with formidable antioxidant properties, the fruit fights free radicals.
These were some of our favorite healthy fruits with excellent health benefits. Eat them and others daily for more health benefits. Eat up!