The Alkaline Acid Diet for Improved Health
The alkaline acid diet is really starting to become popular due to the health benefits it can provide. Our typical acidic diet can have our system in a funk and the alkaline acid diet can help balance out our overall pH! Our expert drops by to tell us all about the alkaline acid diet!
Need a change? Try the alkaline acid diet
Many people live an acidic lifestyle, we drink our Starbucks, puff on electronic cigarettes and chow down on heavily processed foods. Eventually our bodies become a toxic warehouse, with a run down liver and a dysfunctional digestive system.
Take this inflammation, add stress, depression, a toxic environment and this formula equates to poor health. Fueling your body with alkaline based foods will even you out in these terms and help equal you out to a neutral 7.5.
Just like chemistry class, a pH value is associated with your health and keeping a neutral pH will beat inflammation, give you more energy and have you looking and feeling your best!
Take it from me, I had a digestive system that was ruined, I had to start from the beginning, build up my stomach acid and bacteria again and I was able to do so with an alkaline based diet given to me by my Acupuncturist.
Before this I had leaky gut syndrome, an intolerance to many foods including cruciferous vegetables, imbalanced hormones and aches and pains all throughout my body.
My diet although quite boring and “healthy” tasting consisted of green juices, soups and purees to force my body into a more alkalized state.
For me living the “green” life was worth it because I knew that in the end my body would be functioning in its prime and I would reap the benefits, I did not have an emotional breakdown because I could not have chocolate for a few weeks or even meat for that matter, I did what was right for my body and it was worth it.
I wanted to write an article and share with you a few ways to incorporate more “green” into your life and why you should do it!
Take care of and love your body
One might wonder how you can test your bodies acidity level? Our bodies have a mechanism that allows it to balance it out and keep it neutral but if your body is constantly being forced to ask the cells to do this it becomes taxing on the body.
So how do you know if your body is acidic?
For me, I can smell it in my urine (GROSS) but true. I know when my body is acidic because my urine smells how do you say “acidy” and your urine will be a very dark color.
This works for me, but the true way to test your levels is through a urine test or saliva test, these can be done with a naturopath or purchasing a kit at a pharmacy or online.
Your blood pH level should be slightly alkaline (balance is key), at a 7.35-7.45, slightly below or above this range means you could experience symptoms of disease and illness.
A pH of 7.0 is neutral, below 7.0 is acidic and above 7.0 is alkaline.
Maintain the balance…
When you eat a diet full of acidic foods the body has to steal minerals back, force your organs to turn on overdrive and depletes the healthy function of your vital organs (liver, kidney). Once the bodies mineral stores are depleted the body has to rob the alkaline minerals from wherever it can from the body to maintain a healthy pH in the blood.
This is usually “stolen” from the bones and vital organs which by this point taxes out your organs leaves them weak to perform other tasks such as digestion.
Not only does this affect your digestive tract but can also trouble your muscles and bones leaving the body in a stressed state.
We all know what stress does to the body and having a diseased and ill functioning body leads to premature aging, aching joints and low recovery from workouts.
Health problems that result from high acidity:
- Mind Blowing Acceleration of free radical damage
- Bladder and kidney becomes overworked so many complications
- Cardiovascular weakness
- Unhealthy immune system
- Joint pain from acid buildup
- Energy is at an all time low
- Osteoporosis: Hip Fractures + Brittle Bones
- Weight Gain
Diet is the primary cause of acid-alkaline imbalance in the body.
When you eat acid forming food, toxins are released that your body must deal with during the digestion and elimination phase. Acidic foods (processed foods, alcohol, drugs etc.) have a negative impact on the pH balance within the body and are often not of any use to your body.
A highly acidic body prematures aging through cell degeneration. Most of us live in a state of illness, which is often disguised by shots of espresso and sugar to keep us moving.
What To Do:
Whenever I am starting to feel overworked, my urine is dark, I am tired and my muscles become sore for longer periods of time I will eat more alkaline based foods to balance out my body.
I will add greens to every meal, drop by Sunshine Market and pick up some spirulina to add to my protein shake and cut back on the meat a bit. To put your body back into balance is simple, just add more greens to your meals, eat a few vegetarian meals and add foods like sunflower spouts and mushrooms to any stir-fried noodles recipe.
Eating an alkaline acid diet for a few days, affects all of my bodily fluids which include urine, saliva and my venous blood.
When your body is acidic your kidneys have to work hard to maintain homeostasis within the body by excreting acid or alkaline urine so giving these vital organs a break by drinking lots of alkalized water, eating lightly steamed veggies and tons of green juices.
You may consider cutting down on the vinegar and using organic apple cider vinegar and fresh herbs to flavor your salads and meals.
Overall, the basic general rule of thumb is to eat foods from both sides of the chart with an emphasis of alkaline forming foods so 70%-80% alkaline and 20-30% acid ash forming foods.
Below is a list of alkaline foods to start incorporating more into your alkaline acid diet.
Time to Eat…
- Fermented Veggies (Kimchi, Pickles)
- Brussels Sprouts
- Chlorella (ALGAE)
- Spirulina (Algae)
- Sprouts (Mung)
- Tropical Fruits
- Raw Organic Honey
- Chili Peppers
- Sea/Himalayan Salt
- All Herbs
- Dandelion Root
- Veggie Cold Press Juices
- Mineral Water
- Green and Herbal Tea
- Bee Pollen
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Flax, Sesame Seeds
- Eat so your stomach is 1/3 food, 1/3 water and 1/3 air for quick digestibility.
- Increase Soups and Stews
- Steam veggies or chop your veggies very fine so you can digest easier and get the nutrients quicker
- Organic food is best
- Beans are good for your heart (cooked well and preferably not from cans high protein, low fat and high fiber)
- Oats or porridge for breakfast or late night (calms the nervous system and very nourishing)
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, seeds are the best) one handful max per day
- Eat lots of Sea Vegetables or take Algae Supplements: Spirulina, Chlorella, Blue Green Algae (I add to smoothies)
- Raw apple cider, lemon or lime are great to make salad dressings and flavor foods
- Oil in salads raw: Flax oil, olive oil, coconut (making your own dressing or using something like shown above)
- Cooking Oil’s: Organic Coconut Oil, Grape Seed Oil and Rice Bran Oil
- Chew your food 30-70 times before swallowing (CHEW for better digestion)
- Bread, pasta’s and all flour baked products: like cakes, cookies, muffins, pies, breads, pastas
- Milk, cheese and dairy products (goat dairy only if needed) (mucus FORMING)
- Distilled vinegars (white) aka pickled food
- Heavily Fried foods: French Fries, Fried Chicken
- Stimulants: Cigarettes, Coffee (black ok), Booze
- Sugar or Artificial Sweeteners (Sweet n Low, Splenda)
- Sodas, Crystal Light, Fake Artificial Waters (Vitamin Water etc.)
Now that you have some general information on the Alkaline Acid diet, what are you personally going to change in your diet?
Is there anyway you can start adding more fresh vegetables to each and everyone of your meals?