Yoga & Pilates Workout 101
Nothing better than eating healthy and exercising for serious results at home, right? Celebrity yoga instructor Kristin McGee’s simple yoga and Pilates workout can be done in the comfort of your home. Let’s get started!
The home Pilates workout to get started
As always, be cleared by your physician before starting any exercise program. Run through this awesome Pilates workout at least once which should take less than 20 minutes. Still, feeling energetic? Run through it again!
This pose works your arms, and abdominals and gets your heart pumping.
- Start at the back of your mat with your feet in a Pilates V position, heels together toes turned out.
- Round down through your spine until your hands hit the floor (bend your knees if you need to).
- Once the hands are on the mat, walk into a plank position, then bend your elbows straight back until your entire body is a couple of inches from the floor (drop knees to the mat if too challenging).
- Push back up to plank and walk your hands back to your feet.
- Round up to stand and repeat all over again 6-8 times. (5-8 minutes)
Reverse Warrior & Extended Side Angle
Together these poses work your hips, legs, and lower back.
- Open to a wide stance (as big as one of your own leg’s length).
- Turn your right toes out to 90 degrees and your left toes to 45 degrees.
- Bend your right knee until it is just above your ankle (don’t let it go past your ankle) and make sure it rolls out to its own side or to the pinky toe side of the foot.
- As you lunge deeper, reverse your torso and slide your left hand down your straight left leg and look up at the right arm.
- Come up to warrior 2 and then place your right forearm on your right knee and extend your left arm overhead 45 degrees.
- Continue swaying forward and back 6-8 reps then hold each position for 3-5 breaths.
- Come up to stand turn the feet the opposite way and repeat on the left side. (5 minutes)
This pose works your abdominals, core, and inner thigh.
- Turn both feet out at a forty-five-degree angle and bend your knees into a goddess squat.
- Hold for 5 breaths and come back up to stand. Repeat 6-8 times. (3-5 minutes)
Butt Lifts Using Chair
This pose works your buttocks, legs, back, and core.
- Come to the back of a chair and walk your feet back so you can bring your torso parallel to the floor and rest your forearms on the top of the chair.
- Lift your right leg up and bend at the knee, pulse the heel of the foot to the ceiling 20 times, then repeat on the opposite side. (3 minutes)
High Altar Stretch
This pose works your arms, wrists, shoulders, and sides.
- Sit down on the chair and float your arms up overhead, clasp your hands together and invert your palms.
- Hold for 5-8 breaths as you cool down. (1-2 minutes)
This yoga and Pilates workout is the perfect way to start exercising at home just like EPOC training.
It requires no equipment and can be done anywhere in under 20 minutes! So… what’s holding you back?
Be sure to check out her upcoming book Chair Yoga: Sit, Stretch, and Strengthen Your Way to a Happier, Healthier You (HarperCollins January 17, 2017).
- The Full Body Yoga Workout Routine For 20 Minutes - December 13, 2016
Disclosure: In the spirit of full disclosure, DIYactive.com may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain reviews or your clicking on links posted on this website.