Chard Tart Recipe
Freeform tarts are a lot easier to make than traditional pies and tarts [Editor’s Note: I’ve had trouble with all the above but the recipe looks so good that I have to give it a try – DIY recipes, right?]. This spinach and chard tart use those awesomely nutritious spring greens and some feta cheese to create a spanakopita-like flavor. Makes killer spinach and chard tart.
Chard Tart Pastry Ingredients
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 bunch spinach, rinsed and drained, stems removed
- 1 bunch chard, rinsed and drained, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup garlic scapes, chopped (or ¼ c. scallions)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Chard Tart Pastry Directions:
- Place flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in the food processor. Pulse to blend.
- Add butter and pulse until the size of small peas. Sprinkle with the water and pulse until the pastry just becomes moistened.
- Form dough into a disk shape and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Heat oil in a large pan. Thinly slice spinach and chard.
- Place garlic scapes, salt, and pepper in the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and sliced greens. Toss in oil until wilted and liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer greens to a bowl to cool. Stir in the yolk, both pieces of cheese, and thyme leaves.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a parchment paper or silicone-lined baking sheet.
- Spread greens onto the dough leaving a 2-inch border. Fold dough over edges of tart filling. Bake 40 minutes, until golden.
Looking for a certain recipe? Special meal? Anything else you can think of?
Let us know and we will make it happen! We love giving you exactly what you want so drop us a line today!
Give this recipe a try and let us know below.
- Recipe: Spring Vegetable Soup - March 22, 2021
- Recipe: Peach Maca Soft Ice Cream - January 17, 2021
- Recipe: Roasted Acorn Squash - August 5, 2020
Disclosure: In the spirit of full disclosure, DIYactive.com may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain reviews or your clicking on links posted on this website.