Eggplant Caponata Recipe
Eggplants and tomatoes are vegetables that produce compounds to protect themselves against oxidative stress and infection, and guess what! These antioxidants and anti-inflammatories are passed on to you when you eat them! Try this eggplant caponata tonight!
Eggplant Caponata Ingredients
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 pounds eggplant, peel thick skin if necessary and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, thinned with 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh, good quality tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces green olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened chocolate, finely grated
- ½ cup finely shredded basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
Eggplant Caponata Directions
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, add eggplant and fry, tossing occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggplant to a large bowl.
- Keeping oil hot, add onions and celery. Cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in olives, vinegar, raisins, capers, agave, and chocolate. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl with eggplant, along with basil and pine nuts, and mix together. Let cool to room temperature before serving this eggplant caponata.
Looking for a certain recipe? Special meal? Anything else you can think of?
Let us know and we will make it happen! We love giving you exactly what you want so drop us a line today!
Give this recipe a try and let us know below.