Barley Risotto with Shrimp Recipe
What an amazing recipe! Making a risotto force you to slow down. This alternative grain version is not difficult, just requires some, mostly passive, time. You’ll stir in fresh spring asparagus which is full of antioxidants that help to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals. This simple recipe makes 4 servings.
Barley Risotto with Shrimp Ingredients
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound small frozen cooked and peeled shrimp, thawed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat chicken broth in a medium pot. Cover and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in barley and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Add broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring until the liquid has been absorbed before adding more broth. Barley will be tender on the outside and slightly firm in the center after about 40 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add shrimp and parmesan cheese. Cook 3 more minutes, until shrimp is warmed through.
Looking for a certain breakfast recipe or anything else you can think of? Let us know and we will make it happen!
Give this recipe a try and let us know below. Until next time: eat up, be full, and be healthy!
Disclosure: In the spirit of full disclosure, DIYactive.com may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain reviews or your clicking on links posted on this website.