Braised Butternut Squash Recipe
This is a beautiful side dish on it’s own, but add steamed shrimp or slices of grilled chicken and you have comfort food meal loaded with good stuff. Each bite helps to fight inflammation, boost your heart health, and balance your blood sugar. Makes 4 servings.
Braised Butternut Squash Ingredients
- 1 cup polenta (fine cornmeal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 1¾ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces golden beets, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Prepare polenta: Bring 5 cups water to a boil in a medium-size pan. Add salt. Pour cornmeal slowly into water, stirring constantly. Continue stirring as mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce heat. Cook for at least 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. If polenta becomes quite thick, thin it with 1/2 cup water, stir well and continue cooking. Add up to 1 cup more water as necessary .
- For vegetables: Melt butter in a large pan with a lid. Add butternut squash and beets and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broth, honey, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 12 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Serve vegetables and their broth over polenta.
Looking for a certain breakfast recipe or anything else you can think of? Or just more of the same great recipes? Let us know and we will make it happen!
Give this recipe a try and let us know below. Until next time: eat up, be full, and be healthy!