Braised Butternut Squash Recipe
This is a beautiful side dish on its own, but add steamed shrimp or slices of grilled chicken and you have a comfort food meal loaded with good stuff. Each bite helps to fight inflammation, boost your heart health, and balance your blood sugar. Makes 4 servings.
Braised Butternut Squash Ingredients
- 1 cup polenta (fine cornmeal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 1¾ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces golden beets, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Prepare polenta: Bring 5 cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pan. Add salt. Pour cornmeal slowly into the water, stirring constantly. Continue stirring as mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce heat. Cook for at least 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. If polenta becomes quite thick, thin it with 1/2 cup water, stir well and continue cooking. Add up to 1 cup more water as necessary.
- For vegetables: Melt butter in a large pan with a lid. Add butternut squash and beets and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broth, honey, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Serve vegetables and their broth over polenta.
Looking for a certain breakfast recipe or anything else you can think of? Or just more of the same great recipes? Let us know and we will make it happen!
Give this recipe a try and let us know below. Until next time: eat up, be full, and be healthy!